The YouTube TrueView ad format video ad format is popular because it gives viewers choices, including the ability to skip pre-roll ads after five seconds. It is also designed so advertisers only pay when people opt in to watch their video ads.
It's a win-win — viewers see videos they're curious about and advertisers get more views from audiences they know are interested. Because advertisers choose what they want to pay for a view, they get the right audience at the right price — unlike cost-per-impression (CPM) pricing.
In addition, because TrueView ads are opt-in, advertisers aren't constrained by time limits; meaning there is more freedom to experiment with creative formats. Advertisers can try longer product demos, customer testimonials or how-to videos demonstrating products in action. Another important factor is that advertisers get greater reach, since TrueView ads can appear on both YouTube and other publisher sites in the Google Display Network for desktop computers and mobile devices.
Even more exciting, YouTube just added add extensions to that let advertisers push other actions aside from clicks, such as downloading apps, booking travel booking or buying movie tickets.
AffinityX Brings TrueView to Clients
Now TrueView ads will be integrated into the AffinityX AudienceX offering, including the ability to manage and optimize TrueView in-stream and video discovery ads. We expect to support other types of ad types in the future but today, these are the most common.
How Do TrueView In-Stream Ads Work?
- Video ads play before, during or after other videos. After 5 seconds, viewers have the option to skip ads.
- TrueView in-stream video ads can appear on YouTube watch pages, videos on partner sites and apps in the Google Display Network.
- Advertisers pay when viewers watch 30 seconds of their videos (or the duration, if they are shorter than 30 seconds) or interact with videos, whichever comes first.
How Do TrueView Video Discovery Ads Work?
- Ads consist of thumbnail images from the videos with some text.
- While the exact size and appearance of the ads may vary depending on where they appear, video discovery ads always invite people to click to watch the videos.
- The videos then play on the YouTube Watch page or on advertiser channel pages.
Advertisers should try TrueView ads because, according to research compiled by BrandWatch in April 2018:
- Viewers who complete TrueView ads (watched to completion or at least 30 seconds) were 23 times more likely to visit or subscribe to brand channels, watch more by those brands or share the brand videos.
- Viewers who are exposed to TrueView ads but who don’t watch to completion are still 10 times more likely to take one of those actions.
- When brands use TrueView, they see views of previously existing content increase by up to 500% after posting new videos.
Want to get in on this video goldmine? Contact AffinityX today and let us know how we can get you started!